The CCRC released the proposed franchise agreement with Comcast on Thursday, December 10, 2015. At this time, all jurisdictions will have a chance to review the contract and respond with input. It is at the discretion of each municipality how they will approve the cable franchise agreement. Please check with your local town office for details.
On January 14, 2016 at 6:00 p.m., the CCRC will hold a public hearing on the proposed Comcast Franchise Agreement. Comments will be limited to 3 minutes and must be in related to the Franchise Agreement.
On February 11, 2016 at 6:00 p.m., the CCRC will hold a public meeting for final approval on the Comcast cable franchise.
We want to hear from you - send us your thoughts on the Comcast cable franchise renewal before February 10, 2016.
Complete this comment form to send us your input or Email the CCRC at:
What is a Cable Franchise?
In order to provide their services, cable companies have to use the public rights-of-way (ROW) to install their cable equipment and facilities throughout Carroll County. A cable franchise is the formal agreement between the jurisdictions of Carroll County and the cable provider outlining the terms and conditions under which it can use the public ROW. The franchise agreement enforces many obligations on the cable company including compensation for ROW usage, PEG services and cable consumer rights.
What CAN the CCRC do:
- Determine the communities needs and interests
- Identify areas where the cable operator did not meet their obligations
- Hold Comcast accountable for customer-service aspects as outlined in the County Cable Ordinance (http://carrollcable.tv/docs/OrdNo08-10-Ch93-CATV.pdf).
What the CCRC CANNOT do:
- Control prices and what Comcast charges customers for Internet, telephone or cable TV, except for the Limited Basic TV package.
- Control what channels Comcast makes available.
- Make demands about Internet or Telephone service as these are not part of the cable franchise.
- For more information on what the CCRC can legally regulate, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page: http://carrollcable.tv/faq.html